Florida Trail Day 32

Florida Trail-Night in the Wires

Day- 32
Date- January 30, 2019
Location- middle of trail
Elevation- 23 feet
Distance Traveled Today- 22.1 miles
Distance Traveled Total- 327.5 miles
Weather/Temp- overcast, windy, 50s
Injuries- sore feet
Pain level- low
Spirits/Morale- accomplished/frustrated
Wildlife encounters- Coyote, Raccoon
Days without shower- 1
Days without laundry- 6
Hunger/craving- pizza
CatFox Status- rearing to walk
Food Eaten – hashbrowns, eggs, bacon, pancakes, jerky


Of course we didn’t wake up early. And of course we didn’t get out of the room until almost checkout. Anything less would have been a waste of money.

We had a hearty breakfast at Denny’s together before heading back to the room to pack up. After that, it was back to the trail and hugs all around! We bid Parks “goodbye,” and hit the dusty road.

Every now and then you say goodbye to a fellow hiker/traveler that you know you’re going to see again. Parks is one of those people. I don’t know when or where, but our paths will cross again. We play in too many of the same backyards not to run into each other again.

It was 11:30am when we finally began the last 22 miles of our paved road walk. There isn’t much to say… it was mostly UN-enjoyable.

The first 7+ miles or so weren’t bad. It was on the closed road, so there was virtually nobody. We did see a coyote limping across a field, as well as a raccoon in a tree. But that was it for wildlife.

We turned onto the next highway, and the traffic picked up. Not terribly, but there was no shoulder and we had to walk on the grass, sometimes down in the ditch if the angle was too steep.

After another 6+ miles we turned onto yet another highway – this one was stacked with speeding traffic. There was only about 45 mins of daylight left, and we would be on this one for another 7+ miles.

We’d resolved to get all of the roads done this day, no matter what, so it was nighttime road walking for us.

There was a bit of a shoulder, but that was way too sketchy to walk on at night, so we stayed in the grass. After 30 minutes of walking on the oncoming traffic side in the dark – we couldn’t take the blinding headlights any longer. Too many drivers with their brights on, even while going with the flow of traffic. We switched over to the other two lanes with our backs to oncoming traffic, making sure to walk way off in the grass. Much better.

With a little over two miles to go, Schweppes spotted a wallet lying in the grass. He picked it up and checked it out. It was full of money (about $120), cards, checks, and the guy’s drivers license.

Neither of us are the type to find a wallet with money and an ID in it and NOT try to return it – so we resolved to look the guy up on facebook when we finished up for the night.

It was about 8:30 pm when we turned off the busy highway down a narrow road that transitioned to dirt after a little ways. We followed it for a mile before it dead ended into a trailhead and made camp in front of a gate. In fact, I hung my hammock between two massive pilings that I think are meant to be an extra barrier to vehicles.

Using the name on the license, plus the county, Schweppes was able to find the guy on facebook. He linked it to me, and together we tried to find a post where the guy might have mentioned losing a wallet. His profile was public, and he seemed to post about every little thing in his life (hmmm), so we figured there was a good chance we could find mention of it.

Low and behold, 5 weeks back in his posts he’d shared a status bemoaning the loss of his cell phone and wallet – thinking they’d been lost or stolen at some bar. Boy is he going to be surprised. Honestly, I’m really surprised it’s been sitting there that long and nobody else had found it.

Schweppes sent him a friend request and a message that simply read, “I think I found your wallet.” I guess we’ll see where this goes now…

Katana was a good passenger. She got a couple miles in on the first stretch of road, but the next 14 miles she rode first class. My neck and shoulders are finally getting strong enough to carry her for 7 miles at a time, if need be. It’s a major help to our overall pace.

This was the first time we’ve done back-to-back 20+ mile days on this trail. We’re going to try and keep our daily average as close to or greater than 20 mpd. I guess we’ll also see how that goes.

Sorry about the lack of pictures. Didn’t take that many of the road today.

Go to Day 33.

Leave a Reply