Distance Traveled Today- 17 (6 on trail)
Distance Traveled Total- 1,019.2 miles
Weather/Temp- 70s, overcast
Pain level- zero
Spirits/Morale- laid back
Wildlife encounters- zero
Days without shower- 4
Days without laundry- 4
For sleeping at nearly 11,000 ft last night, I stayed incredibly warm and comfortable. I woke up from a dream around 1am, journaled until about 2:30 am, then fell asleep sometime after 3 am. I still feel like I got a great night’s sleep.
We were hiking around 8 after a slow morning waking up. Unfortunately we had to deal with some hiccups. Funny Bone was sick and not feeling well. Red Bass had broken his phone during the rock scrambling yesterday. Last but not least, Puma didn’t have enough food to make it almost another hundred miles to the next town of South Pass City. The set backs were piling up.
Since we only did about 6 miles the first day and 16 miles the second day; we’d gone less miles in two days than we would normally go in one day. Everyone had been eating their food like it was full days however, and were now cutting it close. The decision was made to hike the 11 mile side trail that we had been trying to avoid and go back to Pinedale and regroup. Red Bass needed to order a new phone ASAP. Funny Bone needed rest. Puma needed food (along with a couple others); and I was going to tag along because I liked everybody.
So we hiked around 6 miles to get back onto the CDT, then picked up the side trail to a trailhead about half a mile later and began the 11 sideways miles. It was very slow going and we didn’t get to the trailhead until almost 5pm.
At the trailhead we ran into Mongo and his girlfriend Honey Pot. They were on their way back from town, but upon seeing us they decided to go back and hang out. Besides, there were a lot of storms brewing.
It took a total of about 2 hours of waiting and 3 different kind souls with vehicles to get all of us the now 15 miles back into Pinedale. We regrouped at the Episcopal Church that let hikers stay for free, then got dinner.
We made the decision to go back into town under the pretence that we would head back to trail super early. I’ve been looking at the weather forecast and it doesn’t look good at all. I can just about guarantee we don’t hike out if the clouds are crying. We’ll see.