Racing Winter on the Pacific Crest Trail – Day 112

​Day- 112

Date- 8/5/16

Location- Etna 

Elevation- 2,959 ft

Distance Traveled Today- 14.3 miles

Distance Traveled Total- 1,557.7 miles

Weather/Temp-  cloudy,  rain, 80s 70s

Injuries- sore knees

Pain level- moderate

Spirits/Morale- High

Days without shower- 3

Hunger/craving- low


I was up till 2 am last night with throbbing knees and feet, but I felt normal this morning. Still,  I didn’t start hiking till 8 am.  For some reason,  I felt different today; like I’d reached a new level of confidence in myself.  The number of hikers in the “40 mile bracket” is a very small one. It’s hard to describe how I feel now,  but I guess if I had to, I’d say I feel a certain amount of calm.  A calm deriving from the confidence of knowing that I’m now capable of something that I previously did not know that I was.  I now know that I can hike anything between 0 and 41 miles if I truly wanted to.  Physically,  I’ve probably always had the potential to do it,  but now the mental barrier is down…and it feels really, really, good.  To be honest,  I want more.  I’m looking forward to another 24 hour hiking attempt when my birthday rolls around on the 24th of this month.

I did a leisurely 14ish miles to a remote hwy 3 by 1 pm,  and caught a ride into the town of Etna, if only to check it out.
On the hike to the road, I came across yet another Rattlesnake on the side of the trail. This one was very big.  I took a video of him, and spooked him back under a rock before continuing on.  Rattlesnake 12 for the journey.

Etna was a very small, very old town; I really liked it.  Very quiet,  everything centralized, nothing commercialized,  not busy.  My kind of place.

After getting some more snacks at the Ray’s Supermarket,  I spent the rest of the afternoon at a local restaurant called Bob’s Ranch house where I had the best jalapeño poppers of my life.  I can’t wait to go back home and blow everyone’s mind when I duplicate the style they made them in.
In the late afternoon,  for the first time on this journey (while not at high altitude) a thunderstorm rolled in bringing heavy rains and intense lightning. It lasted several hours,  most of which I spent taking cover in a laundromat with a couple other hikers. I went ahead and did my laundry, but the clothes went back on a dirty body.
I’m camped out next to an RV park, looking forward to making some miles tomorrow.  This was a nice stopover. My plan is still to make it the 150 miles to the next town of “Seiad” within the 5 day goal.  We’ll see…

Go to day 113.


Leave a Reply